A 2nd Cup is looking for friendly, energetic, compassionate individuals looking to use their coffee shop skills and experience to fight human trafficking in Houston.
Click a position name to learn more.
Brazen Table is our holistic culinary training program providing tangible skills and experience to survivors of human trafficking and individuals facing significant barriers to employment, to enable them to find worthwhile and sustaining employment as they rebuild their lives.
The role of the Culinary Instructor will be to oversee all aspects of the Brazen Table culinary skills training through hands-on kitchen work, providing constructive and strengths-based feedback and support to participants, and serve as a vital member of the economic empowerment programs of A 2nd Cup. This position is a part-time role (20 hours per week) and will report to the Program Director.
The ideal candidate is a passionate and energetic self-starter looking to translate their skills and experience in culinary arts and food service into a meaningful role in social justice and economic equity. You should possess a strong interest in adult education, intentional leadership, and cultivating the development and growth of others.
- Plan and develop training outlines and curriculum.
- Conduct all culinary training, coursework, and labs.
- Evaluate participant progress and facilitate comprehension of learning objectives through feedback and coaching.
- Research and identify helpful resources, tools, and study materials to supplement classroom and kitchen training.
- Cultivate and maintain a positive learning environment and supportive culture for all participants.
- Work alongside Case Manager and Program Director to support student growth and learning related to all aspects of employment preparation.
- Work with Program Director and other program staff to create, observe and track metrics for success.
- Conduct curriculum and program evaluations alongside the Program Director and Case Manager.
- Continuously collect necessary data and metrics and report to leadership team as needed.
- 5-7 years culinary and hospitality experience
- A strong desire to use skills and experience to fight human trafficking in Houston
- Previous experience in training, teaching, coaching and/or development preferred
- A willingness to learn and implement trauma-informed and strengths-based relational processes
- Ability to work with high-need clients including those with a complex trauma history, mental health concerns, substance use, poverty, lack of access to food or housing, etc.
- Some evening and weekend availability
- A 2nd Cup is deeply committed inclusivity and representing the diversity of the communities we serve. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
- $20 - $25 per hour depending on experience
- Complimentary food and drink when working in the shop
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Please email cover letter and resume to Program Director, Kathryn Rogers, at email@example.com
JOB TYPE: Part-Time, 20 hours per week
A 2nd Cup is seeking a professional Director of Development to plan, direct and coordinate all of the organization’s development activities including special events, annual appeals, donor engagement, direct marketing, grant writing and strategic partnerships. The ideal candidate will be ambitious, organized and connected to the non-profit development world and committed to improving processes and implementing visionary methods and strategies to sustain the work of A 2nd Cup to end human trafficking in Houston and beyond. They will work closely with the Executive Director and other senior management and will be a vital contributor to the executive leadership team.
- Work closely with the executive leadership team to take the lead on the development and execution of a strategic development plan with diverse revenue streams
- Research, identify, cultivate, solicit and steward new and established donors, including individuals, businesses, faith communities and foundations
- Maintain donor database including data entry, gift processing and donor acknowledgment and create documentation of all processes and procedures involved with database management - knowledge of Neon and SalesForce CRMs is a plus
- Oversee local, state and national grant proposals including research, proposal writing and reporting requirements
- Actively and continually engage donors through phone calls, in-person meetings, mailings and other forms of communication
- Update and maintain funding and matching sites with current information for A 2nd Cup
- Research corporate matching and create a plan to capitalize and communicate to donors
- Implement monthly giving plan (or yearly pledge) for faith communities and individuals
- Oversee organization and execution of special events and campaigns including Local Fare for Local Freedom, Run for A Reason, Get Fit + Fight, etc. to meet overall fundraising goals
- Develop agenda and materials for all fundraising and special event meetings and manage staff and volunteers to effectively implement all development events
- Maintain records of all procedures, processes, systems related to development including calendars, agendas, timelines, event evaluations, print materials, etc.
- Creatively contribute integrated fundraising messaging into social media campaigns and newsletters
- Continuously evaluate development strategies to determine effectiveness and update plans and processes as needed
- Oversee reporting, reconciliation of revenue and development related documentation
- Work closely with Executive Director and Board Members to create and manage individual board development plans, train board members on development, and attend board meetings as needed to provide detailed fundraising reports
- Train and develop all staff to effectively communicate the mission and vision of A 2nd Cup through the lens of development
- Assist Executive Director with Board development and attend necessary Board meetings to provide detailed fundraising reports
- Work closely with executive team to ensure A 2nd Cup is maintaining its mission, vision and values
- Participate in on-going strategic planning for the organization - creating short and long-term strategic plans, ensuring we are adhering to the plan and delivering status reports to the Board, staff and other necessary stakeholders
- Participate in weekly 1:1 meetings with Executive Director and regular meetings with executive team
- Speak on behalf of A 2nd Cup at external events and interviews
- Attend community events as a representative of A 2nd Cup
- Attend to all other duties as requested by the Executive Director
- A strong desire to use skills and experience to empower survivors of human trafficking in Houston
- Demonstrated experience in fundraising, event planning, public relations, marketing, development or sales with measurable results
- Proven track record of personally identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major individual and institutional donors
- Knowledge of Houston’s philanthropic community is a strong plus
- Master’s Degree preferred, but Bachelor’s Degree required
- 3+ years experience in non-profit development including use of donor management software
- Exceptional interpersonal communication, public speaking, proof-reading, and writing skills
- A 2nd Cup is deeply committed to championing equity in all areas, and diverse candidates embodying unique backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply
- $60-70k based on experience
- Health + Dental Insurance partially paid by A 2nd Cup
- Short + Long-term Disability and Life Insurance
- PTO after 6 months of employment
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Please email cover letter and resume to Executive Director, Erica Raggett, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Prep Cook is responsible for preparing fresh food in an efficient manner as well as performing specific cleaning tasks. This position requires the ability to multi-task between prepping, cooking, and cleaning. As a member of the BOH Team, you are responsible for preparing food items with attention to detail, proper cooking technique, and set menu standards/packaging.
- Completes daily tasks set by management.
- Maintains the highest quality, consistent product standards.
- Responsible for the preparation of food items ranging from merchandised food items, catering orders, pastries, and syrups.
- Prepares and packages food items according to set recipes and procedures.
- Continually practices proper first in - first out (FIFO) procedures.
- Works with staff to maintain loss and waste records.
- Communicates all problems, shortages, or breakages to supervising manager.
- Maintains the cleanliness and sanitation of the kitchen, refrigerators, freezers, dry storage, and equipment.
- Is responsible for cleaning the kitchen properly after every shift which includes, but is not limited to: properly cleaning and putting up BOH dishes, sweeping floors, putting up all food, taking out the BOH trash, and washing and sanitizing all surfaces.
- Reports potential safety hazards to supervising manager.
- Follows safety procedures set in place by management and listed in the manual.
- Maintains personal hygiene in accordance with the Houston Health Department’s standards for Food Service Employees.
- Attends and participates in all scheduled meetings.
- Proven experience as a prep cook
- Food Safety Manager’s Certification (Can be obtained within 30 days of employment)
- Manual dexterity able to operate cutting tools and kitchen utensils
- A team player with good communication skills
- High school diploma or equivalent is desirable; Training from a culinary school will be an asset
- Must be able to work weekends, evenings and special events as needed.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented and able to multi-task.
- Effective problem solving/decision-making abilities.
- Must be able to lift 30lbs
- Salary will be competitive and based upon experience.
The barista is responsible for serving all products with friendly, individualized attention toward each customer. He/she is also responsible for educating customers about our premium coffees and other menu items. The barista is the main point of contact with the customer and is, therefore, the main source of information about our mission. The barista is expected to be well-trained on how to increase customer knowledge on the issue of human trafficking and point them to our events, resources, and information that can help them learn more and get involved. The barista fulfills any other duties the on-duty manager assigns and represents A 2nd Cup in a professional and compassionate manner.
- Greets all customers with fast, friendly, personalized service and develops a rapport with customers by learning their names, favorite drinks, and food items.
- Works to educate customers about the issue of human trafficking in Houston in a light, friendly tone.
- Directs customers to events, resources, and our calendar to further their involvement in fighting human trafficking.
- Reports all customer complaints to the manager on duty.
- Responds proactively to prevent customer service situations.
- Accurately rings sales orders into cash register and counts back change to customers in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Answers customer questions regarding coffee blends, preparation, product sourcing, and freshness.
- Sells and serves baked goods and miscellaneous food items to customers.
- Maintains efficient, friendly service.
- Ensures that all customers are educated on our products and services.
- Maintains the highest quality, consistent product standards and proficiently prepares all drink items striving for the highest quality possible.
- Develops an understanding of coffee and tea regions and the various differences in flavor and blends.
- Develops an understanding of our menu items and the purpose of fair trade and communicates that effectively with customers.
- Has a working knowledge of the kitchen menu and seasonal menu items. Makes recommendations and upsells products.
- Is able to identify allergens and dietary restrictions in kitchen menu items.
- Restocks shelves as necessary.
- Routinely cleans the bar area, floor, windows, grinders, takes out the trash, and other assigned duties.
- Assists in the distribution of weekly shipments.
- Reports potential safety hazards to the manager on duty.
- Reports all employee accidents to the manager on duty.
- Informs manager on duty of any operational inconsistencies.
- Entry-level position.
- May work special events, as needed.
- Maintains positive morale and professional attitude.
- Must be able to work overtime, as needed.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented and able to multi-task.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, talk, hear and lift/move items up to 30 lbs.
- Regularly required to handle food and hot beverages.
A 2nd Cup is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train and promote without discrimination due to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability or any other status protected by state or federal law.